Location: Thorrington, Essex
Number of beds: 14
Download: Thors Park Brochure
Download: Thors Park Easy Read Brochure
Thors Park is an Independent Hospital providing specialist complex care and rehabilitation for men with learning disabilities
Based in Thorrington, North East Essex, Thors Park provides support and treatment for men with learning disabilities and complex needs. The team can also support people who have additional mental and physical health needs, and those who have been detained under the Mental Health Act.
Thors Park is set in extensive grounds accessed via a private lane in the heart of the Essex countryside. The service has its own care pathway on-site from more support, through to more independent living. This comprises of three elements:
- There is an eight bed service that provides assessment and intervention for men with complex needs and behaviours. Generous living areas enable everyone the opportunity to spend time alone or with others.
- For individuals who require more intensive support there are four self-contained, bespoke apartments delivering 24 hour care and support within a structured and therapeutic environment. Each apartment has its own en-suite bedroom, living and kitchen facilities and access to private outdoor space.
- Finally there are two bespoke single person apartments that provide a more independent living environment. These apartments each have their own front door, lounge, personalised bedroom, with an en-suite bathroom, as well as a kitchen to help promote independent living skills. These apartments are situated within Thors Park’s extensive grounds and have access to a private patio area and secure garden.
When people come to Thors Park we ask them how they would like to personalise their bedroom and we support them to express their individuality. There are a number of rooms at Thors Park which are dedicated to activities and supporting life skills in readiness for people moving on. There is a life skills kitchen for people wanting to prepare or cook food for themselves or their visitors. There is a large art room where people can enjoy a range of creative table top crafts, in addition to a games room and an IT room. The grounds at Thors Park are extensive and there are plenty of outdoor activities available for people to enjoy. Patio and seating areas for service users and their visitors to enjoy are a popular choice.
Thors Park is located in the small village of Thorrington, which has a few local amenities, including a shop and a post office. The service is a short drive from both Colchester and Clacton where there are plenty more community facilities for people to access, including leisure centres, social clubs, shops, colleges, and work placement settings. Thors Park takes full advantage of its picturesque surroundings; there are many outdoor leisure choices including walks and visits to the nearby Brightlingsea beach. To see a map of the surrounding community facilities, please click here.
Thors Park has a dedicated Activity Coordinator who supports service users to have individual activity plans, which are created based on each person’s likes and hobbies. Their goal is to enable people to structure their time, build relationships and establish a balance between therapy, self-care, work and leisure, as appropriate to their individual needs.
People come to Thors Park from a home environment, supported living or residential service due to an illness or a crisis in their life. They may also come following a stay at an NHS or other specialist service, including a secure service.
Within Thors Park we follow the five key principles that form our model of care, Personal PATHS.
1. Positive Behaviour Support (PBS)
2. Appreciative Inquiry Methodology
3. Therapeutic Outcomes
4. Healthy Lifestyles
5. Safe Services
We believe that we must be fully accountable to the people we support, their families and to those who commission services on their behalf. Personal PATHS model of care is our unique way of supporting this.